BHUTAN, Fab Challenge AUG 2023 | Cultural Preservation.
Together with RTA Bhutan & JNW Bhutan Super FabLab, #Fabricademy co-hosted the FabCity Global foundation Challenge tackling the topic of cultural preservation: Future Fabrics - Weaving Technology Into Tradition 💡🧵
During the 5 days of challenge in Thimphu, Bhutan, a group of international and local participants immersed into the local tradition of weaving, learned from the experts, conducted a series of interviews to understand the local needs and necessities of the Bhutanese weavers.
The challenge solutions were oriented towards three main scopes.
- How can we preserve traditional arts, culture & crafts
- How do we make art and culture more accessible
- Can we foster knowledge exchange and upgrade traditional tools?
The group developed:
- A downloadable digital vector pattern library of bhutanese symbols
- An educational weaving kit for kids of 5 to 8 years old
- An assistive solution for the traditional backstrap loom
Learn more about the project at:
FabChallenge 2023 Cultural Preservation was awarded with the Challenge Experts' Choice Awards 2023.
🏆 We couldn't be happier to win this #Fab23Bhutan Challenge and we invite all to discover, learn more and contribute to our accessible repository, ready to download at GAWA Loom